Our test kitchen loves to try out the latest recipes for brands. Things are even sweeter when the trends take us to delicious places like this Caramel Whisky Poke Cake. Warm spices accent this vanilla walnut cake, which is soaked with a decadent whisky-spiked caramel sauce for the ultimate late-summer dessert. Use Scotch or your whisky of preference in the sauce.
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups (550 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped toasted walnuts
- Caramel Whisky Sauce:
- 1 cup (250 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) whisky
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) sea salt
- Caramel Whisky Sauce: In large saucepan, combine sugar with 1/4 cup (60 mL) water over medium-high heat; cook, stirring occasionally, just until sugar is melted. Stop stirring; bring to boil. Boil, brushing down any crystals that form on side of pan with pastry brush for about 6 minutes or until deep amber colour.
- Carefully, and averting face (mixture will bubble up vigorously), add whisky, butter and salt. Cook over low heat until mixture is smooth; let cool.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 13- x 9–inch (3.5 L) baking pan with parchment paper.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter with sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition; beat in vanilla. Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt. Beat into butter mixture alternately with milk, making three additions of flour mixture and two of milk, just until combined. Stir in walnuts.
- Scrape into prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until tester inserted into centre comes out clean. Let cool on rack for 10 minutes. Poke top of cake all over using handle of wooden spoon. Pour Caramel Whisky Sauce over top. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.
Contact THP today to tap into our test kitchen to ensure that your brand gets a little sweeter this year.