Life is sweeter when you work with THP! Don’t believe us? Just ask the team who created this delicious recipe. Pork belly is oven roasted slowly to tenderize, then blasted with high heat to crisp up the skin for an irresistible pork belly. And for the ultimate in sweet-and-sour goodness, it’s brushed with a savoury caramel glaze.
- 1 slab pork belly (3 lb/1.5 kg)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) coarse or flaked sea salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) orange juice or water
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Caramel Miso Glaze:
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) water, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) miso paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fish sauce
- Caramel Miso Sauce: In large saucepan, combine sugar with 3 tbsp (45 mL) water over medium-high heat; cook, stirring occasionally, just until sugar is melted. Stop stirring; bring to boil. Boil, brushing down any crystals that form on side of pan with pastry brush for about 6 minutes or until deep amber colour.
- Remove from heat; add remaining water and butter. Return to medium heat; cook, stirring, until smooth. Add miso paste, vinegar, soy sauce and fish sauce; simmer for 1 minute or until syrupy. Reserve 3 tbsp (45 mL) glaze; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Using serrated or very sharp knife, remove rind from pork belly, leaving 1/4- to 1/2–inch (5 mm to 1 cm) fat. Score through fat in crosshatch pattern at 1/2-inch (1 cm) intervals; rub with oil and sprinkle with salt. Place on rack in roasting pan; add orange juice to roasting pan. Brush pork with 1 tbsp (15 mL) glaze; cover roasting pan with foil.
- Roast for about 3 hours or until fat is rendered. Remove foil. Increase heat to 400°F (200°C); roast, brushing with 1 tbsp (15 mL) glaze every 10 minutes, for about 30 minutes or until skin is crispy. Sprinkle with green onions and serve with reserved glaze.